What's an insane spring?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: What's an insane spring?
Date: 05 Nov 2000 11:32:40 -0500

And is that why the second alternative isn't printing right in the
attached file?

When I run ly2dvi on the attached file, I get the message:

Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... programming error: Negative dist, setting to
1.0 PT (Continuing; cross thumbs)
programming error: Negative dist, setting to 1.0 PT (Continuing; cross thumbs)
programming error: Insane spring found. Setting to unit spring. (Continuing;
cross thumbs)

The output looks ok, except that the 2 and the line don't print over
the second alternative.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139