Re: merging lily .ps files

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: merging lily .ps files
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:35:11 +0200

> I just attempted to merge several files created by ly2dvi and dvips
> using psmerge from the psutils package.  It didn't work; gv says:
>
> Alternatively, has anyone worked out another automated procedure for
> concatenating lilypond output?

One solution is to let ly2dvi merge several files:
ly2dvi file1.ly file2.ly file3.ly
The problem is that you only get the full titling on the
first piece. Maybe you also want a page break between the
different pieces?

I made some attempts to use Ghostscript for the merging.
Basically,
gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOutputFile=out.ps -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE file1.ps file2.ps
works but the staff lines disappear in the output unless you used
dvips -Ppdf file.dvi
to produce the Postscript file. Also, the result looks fairly bad
on screen even though I think it prints OK.
I don't understand fully what happens here, it seems that most of
the original Postscript turns into bitmaps, which explains the
poor visibility on the screen. Still, I don't understand why the
lines disappear.

    /Mats