Re: Jazz chords still not right

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Jazz chords still not right
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:54:36 +0200

> To: Olaf Stetzer <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Jazz chords still not right
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:29:50 +0200
> From: Mats Bengtsson <matsb>
>
> > I found another problem with the new version of
> > lilypond: The jazz chords are still not typed like
> > described in the examples (manual). For example:
> > A c:maj is typed as maj7 and not as triangle
> > (see my example attached to the last posting
> > about ly2dvi ...)

Now I see what the real problem is:

        \paper {
          indent = 0
          \translator{
            \ChordNamesContext
            ChordName \override #'word-space = #1
            ChordName \override #'style = #'jazz
            }

The declarations you do above are erased below since you redefine
the ChordNames context based on the identifier \ChordNamesContext
as it is defined in ly/engraver.ly.

          \translator{
            \ChordNamesContext
            chordChanges = ##t
            }
          }

Try the following instead:
        \paper {
          indent = 0
          \translator{
            \ChordNamesContext
            ChordName \override #'word-space = #1
            ChordName \override #'style = #'jazz
            chordChanges = ##t
            }
          }

To get some extra space between the composer name and the first
line of music, you could use an old TeX trick, namely to insert a
so-called `strut', which simply is a line with zero width.
Example:
          composer = "Simons \& Marks\rule[-5mm]{0pt}{5mm}"

which will add 5mm of space below the base line of the composer name.

   /Mats