Re: Hands on invocation.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Hands on invocation.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:42:25 +0200

> Help please,
>
> I installed lilypond-1.3.84-1.i386.rpm and it hung after printing:
>
> Parsing..
>
> So I uninstalled it and installed lilypond-1.2.17-1.i386.rpm and it prints
> out a heap of junk after "Parsing" but STILL hangs.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Lilypond is one of these programs where it's really hard to
do anything useful without looking at the user documentation.

If you do that, you'll soon realize that Lilypond is far from
WYSIWYG and that you first have to prepare a text file that
describes the music you want to typeset. Then you call Lilypond
with
>> lilypond <file>.ly
The ``hanging'' is simply Lilypond waiting for some reasonable input.

There are lots of example files to try, included in the distribution.
Look for a catalogue called input/test/, probably somewhere below
/usr/doc/lilypond/ or /usr/share/doc/lilypond/ in the RPM.

Secondly, I recommend that you try the new release 1.4.1 instead.
It's available (both source code and RPM:s) at www.lilypond.org.

     /Mats