Re: Midi Dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Midi Dynamics
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 15:24:40 +0200

> Gary Rondeau wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> The problem is that dynamics applies to staves - so that if you add a \p
> in the right hand of the piano then the left hand will still play forte.
> I think it works if you remember to add the dynamics in all staves.
> This also means that you cannot have a piano and a forte voice in the
> same staff.
>
> -Rune

Good guess, but in the absolute-volume.ly example, there's only
a single line of music. Since playmidi sends the MIDI stream
directly to the sound card, the result probably depends on the
type of sound card or other MIDI device you use. Timidity, on
the other hand, interprets the MIDI code itself, which explains
why I can get a different result when using Timidity.

   /Mats