Re: 1.5.x todo list

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: 1.5.x todo list
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 09:16:51 -0400

Rune Zedeler wrote:

> -Nicer slurs. I.e. fourth order polynomials instead of third order
> polynomials.

Great.  I have a dim memory of fourth order curves being necessary
to represent certain natural lines.  :-)  And ties?

I want to propose a solution to the problem of ties that are
impossible to draw because they intersect stems.  I think the best
way is to have little white breaks in the tie, but an alternative,
used by Schott in HVL Etude 8, is to use a short tie that does not
extend to the tied note.

       |     |
r4     *
o      *     o
|\_/   *     |
r4     *
       |     |

A problem is that some players will mistakenly play the tied note,
but it would be good to have a \veryshorttie available as a last
resort.  :-)

And please don't forget string indications.  :-)

In what way is it useful to have a4-3 place a finger number over
or under by default instead of in front of the note?  How can
anyone possibly not know where he wants the number?  (He can't.)
I understand the disadvantages.  I have a published orchestral
score where a single finger in one part requires a whole column,
but that's just tough luck, and placing a number before a note of
an inside part reduces the number of indications needed.  e.g.:

0
0
2

*
*
*
*
*

 *
 *
2*
 *
 *

--
||/ Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings! ||
|-K ars sine scientia nihil                address@hidden ||