Re: About turns

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: About turns
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:32:32 +0200

> First off, thanks to all those who worked hard to produce Lily1.4, I've
> yet to find something I can't typeset to my satisfaction.
>
> Now, onto my question: does anyone around here have a reasonably
> complete list of music symbols that can be typeset? To be specific I
> need to typset things like turns and mordents with flats, sharps and
> naturals above and below, such as:
>
>   #
>  -
> | \ |
>    -
>
> These things seem to crop up a fair bit in some heavily ornamented
> scores. I managed to stack some sharps using eg.
>
> g''4^#'(music "accidentals-1")^#'(music "accidentals-1")
>
> but I couldn't find any information on how to get other symbols such as
> flats, naturals, turns and mordents.
>
> Is this the right way to go about it? Does anyone have a list of symbols
> (maybe I'm not looking in the right part of the reference manual). If it
> is possible to find the list somewhere in the sources I would be happy
> to write an equivelent manual entry.

Take a look at the file lilypond-1.4.xx/mf/out/feta20.afm in
the compilation tree (or ..../share/lilypond/afm/feta20.afm in
the installation) to get a list of the symbol names plus some
other information. To get an overview of the symbols, I also
recommend to run
>> tex testfont
Name of the font to test = feta20
Now type a test command (\help for help):)
*\table
[1]
*\bye
[2]

and view the file testfont.dvi.

It shouldn't be hard to generate a list with symbols and names
from the .afm file. Of course, you can do it manually, but sooner
or later it will be outdated, since the font keeps changing
every now and then.

    /Mats