Re: notheheadStyle property

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: notheheadStyle property
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:07:24 +0200

> In lilypond 1.2.x, there was a noteheadStyle property, which seems to
> have gone in 1.4 . How are different forms of note heads handled now?

Quite a few of the properties have changed from 1.2.x to 1.4.x.
Also, the way properties are set for different graphical objects
(also called grobs in the documentation) has changed.
The first step to update your files is to run 'convert-ly -e file.ly'
but unfortunately it cannot handle all the changes, for example the
noteheadstyle property. I recommend that you take a look at the
example file input/regression/note-head-style.ly. The general
principles of the new property setting mechanism is described in the
tutorial and in the chapter Tuning Output in the reference manual.
The list of the actual properties is not in the main printed manual
but is available in the HTML documentation if you click on
lilypond-internals.

> I extensively used this for hiding notes.  Moreover, different note
> heads are necessary in 20th century classical music.  And there is a
> project of Scarlatti sonatas, relying on diamond shaped note heads.

Don't worry, very few features from 1.2.x have disappeared but there
are lots of new possibilities. The regression-test document gives a
nice overview of some of the old and new features.

   /Mats