Re: Another thought

From: William R. Brohinsky
Subject: Re: Another thought
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:32:02 -0400

This is possible. However, since lilypond is still in many senses an
alpha release, and I keep having troubles running it, I'd prefer to keep
the external variables to a minimum.

Currently, I install lilypond, and try to run it on the included
example-1.ly file, which has produced errors. I try to find the cause of
these (for instance, the double-assignment of C in the miktex wrapper),
which is hard without an editor. So I install the editor and other
things from the cygwin install, and new errors appear, or old ones go
away, without a really clean way to determine the cause.

Whereas, if you include at least vim in the lilypond release, then I
know that you had vim working with the rest on your development machine,
and I can expect what I get to work (if it will) on my machine.

I preserve my lilypond source directory (the odhecaton project) and wipe
my machine clean of cygwin and lilypond before each rev install. By
doing this, I have been able to catch some problems with the
distribution itself, where something was left out because a previous
install made it less obvious that it was needed. I'd like to be able to
continue in that function, but the basic functionality of the lilypond
package isn't up to where I need it to be without some kind of editor in
the base package.

The argument can be made that you need an editor to make input for
lilypond, too 8^)

raybro