gnu-system-discuss

Re: GNU projects using GitHub.

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Re: GNU projects using GitHub.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:12:32 -0400

On Mon, Oct 25 2021, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>    I was asking for a clarification of GNU project policy.
>>
>>    As I mentioned earlier,
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html
>>    lists GitHub as unacceptable for hosting of GNU software.
>>
>> That is your answer, what is there else to clarify?
>
> Well, why there are 2 GNU projects developed on GitHub.

It's strongly discouraged, and we should try to persuade them to do
otherwise, but my understanding is that GNU maintainers are allowed to
have repositories on GitHub. They already make other, similar
decisions on their own about the program they maintain.

The actual GNU maintainer policy document is linked below, in which
Savannah is recommended, but not mandated.

<https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Hosting>

-g