gnu-system-discuss

Re: GNU projects using GitHub.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: GNU projects using GitHub.
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:03:45 +0300

* Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> [2021-10-25 13:39]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > But for developers and other contributors it may matter as maybe they
> > need to run some non-free javascript, I would not know.
>
> This is the problem I'm referring to.

That problem is rather in development.

As I said, releases are on WWW server, not on Git server.

Git development should result in a release. But there is confusion
about it, and some developers think that "the source of release is in
Git" -- which is misleading to me, as Git is for development, not for
releases, not for download of sources.

As long as releases are referenced to WWW server and easily
downloadable, that problem for users is solved. But not for
contributors and developers, who in turn, by asking people to
contribute steer them towards non-free software.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman