gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Event model

From: Matt Brandt
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Event model
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:39:57 -0500

On Saturday, October 12, 2002, at 03:54 AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

OK, let me explain the history a bit ...:-) The 3DKit was initially developed for a special application. By then it ran on Linux only, using the GNUstep frameworks. This was pre Mac OS X and there was no NSOpenGLView at all... Anyway, this app was also not a pure GNUstep app, it was only using the FoundationKit while the rendering was fullscreen, so I had to develop my own camera class - or better I designed the 0.2.x/0.3.x G3DKit in a way which enables the usage of any kind of backend, be it NSOpenGLView/AppKit, glut, SDL or direct X11 rendering on X11 systems. This is done via separate libraries. Now every backend handles events differently, so I had to provide a nice OO wrapper for this as well, so that an app depending on the 3DKit was free to use any of the backends w/o changing its implementation...

That makes sense if the kit was developed before the OpenGL support was in NeXTStep. You had to do something :-)

In the 0.4 version the camera design will change completely similar to how you describe it. The camera will not be the view anymore ( as in NeXT's 3DKit as well ) but only be the controller which uses a channel ( ie. the NSOpenGLView ) to render the scene. This provides more flexibility and a cleaner design, I think.

Thoughts? Does this answer your question?

Ok, sounds, like this already was an issue with you too. I'll just wait to see the new interface. Sounds like it should be simpler and a cleaner interface to the rest of the Appkit.

Matt