gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] GNU enterprise development

From: Rob Heusdens
Subject: [GNUe-dev] GNU enterprise development
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:48:13 +0200

Hi!

I saw this website about GNU enterprise on the FSF wiki about a priority project for an Oracle forms replacement.
(http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Oracle_Forms)

I am interested in working on this project, but I have no prior experience in programming in Python nor using SVN.

Here are some questions:

- What level of compatibility has GNU Enterprise Forms with Oracle forms. Is there a mapping of Oracle forms triggers with GNU Enterprise Forms triggers? Transactional triggers , pre-/post-insert/delete/update/commit on the block level and the forms level are there, but I guess I miss some navigational triggers and key triggers. And a trigger like WHEN-TIMER-EXPIRES (often used as a nasty workaround when some code in statements are in some cases not permitted).
Is it in principle possible to build a converter form Oracle Forms FMT format text-source to be converted to the XML input format for Enterprise forms. What functionality would not be covered? Is compatibility with Oracle Forms a target/purpose for GNU Enterprise (as it is for the high-priority FSF project Oracle forms).
- Is it possible to combine within one form datasources of different databases?
- Is the GNU Enterprise project still GPL, when cxTools is needed which depend on proprietary Oracle library modules? Is there a workaround for this?
- Is the current GNU Enterprise release a stable release?

Greetings,

Rob Heusdens
Netherlands
associated member of FSF