gnue-sb-discuss

Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] General Ledger and Accounts Payable

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: [gnue-sb-discuss] General Ledger and Accounts Payable
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:48:23 -0600

This was good to see.  It refreshed my memory on a few items and
reminded me of some stuff I hadn't added yet.  For example, I have
ap_invoices, but no ap_invoice_details.  It is important to be able to
split apart a payables invoice as some items on an invoice may be coded
to different G/L accounts.

One thing I do wonder about is that nola and descendants have a company,
ar_company, and ap_company.  I wonder what's the use of separate company
tables for each "module"?  I don't see a need for that myself; perhaps
others can enlighten me.

Also, I don't really think it's appropriate to group Mike's
purchaseorder and my ap_invoice tables together as the same thing.  They
really are not.  But they are complementary and would work together. I
had not addressed a Purchase Order system yet as that's one of those "I
would really like one" and not a "that is a critical feature that I must
have today."

I also noticed one major difference between my schema and others is I
have balance tables. What are other people's feelings on this?  At first
glance, some might say that this goes against proper normalization,
which I believe in trying to adhere to.  However, one feature we've seen
in other proprietary packages is, after a few years, you can "archive"
old
transaction information, but keep the balance information in place for
reporting purposes.  Keeping a balance table would also be a performance
boon.

-- Jason