Re: report IDL

From: Rodrigo Moya
Subject: Re: report IDL
Date: 29 Sep 2000 09:28:38 -0100

> I have some questions....
>
> [...]
> >       interface ReportElement {
> >               attribute string name;
> >               attribute AttributeList attr_list;
> >               attribute VE contents;
> >
> >               void      addAttribute (in string name, in string value);
> >               void      removeAttribute (in string name);
> >               Attribute getAttribute (in string name);
> >               void      setAttribute (in string name, in string value);
> >
> >               ReportElement addChild (in string name);
> >               void          removeChild (in string name);
> >       };
> >       typedef sequence<ReportElement> ElementList;
> >

> This interface is only to modify some attributes for an element defined
> previously?

yes

> [...]
> >
> >       /*
> >        * Report output format
> >        */
> >       enum Converter {
> >               TO_PDF,
> >               TO_PS,
> >               TO_HTML,
> >               TO_LATEX
> >       };
>
> Why don't add the TO_XML option as someone suggest before?, this option
> gaves us the report with all the data filled and if someone wants to
> play with it directly it could :-)

Well TO_XML is the same as ReportOutput interface, which will contain
the XML output.

> [...]
> >
> >       interface Report {
> >               attribute string       name;
> >               attribute string       description;
> >               attribute ReportFormat format;
> >               attribute boolean      is_locked;
> >
> >               void         fromStream (in ReportStream stream);
> >               void         fromXML (in string xml);
> >               ReportOutput run (in ParamList params, in long flags);
> >
> >               /* for shared I/O access */
> >               void lock   ();
> >               void unlock ();
> >       };
>
> I don't understand the need of the format attribute, if it must be
> shared none must change the format!!! it must be readonly at least.

well, the idea is to be able to access the report format through CORBA.
But, yes, it should be readonly. Changed also.

> One thing i don't understand very well about the direction we go is:
> What about the possibility of define the report's objects at the IDL
> file? (something like i send to the list a weeks ago). It will be useful
> to have all the objects implemented only one time, if we use the method
> that Rodrigo has write, we have only one interface, a "ReportElement"
> that has all its attributes in a list, but this way you must implement
> all the report's objects at the report server and other time those
> objects at the client side but wrapping the ReportElement. I think that
> this method is more complicate to update because you must update
> completely two times the same thing. But if we export all the objects as
> CORBA Objects we only need to update a set of objects (the only bad
> thing is that this way all the clients will need the bonobo package, but
> i think that this thing isn't so bad).
>

> What do you thing?

As I told you in private mail, this will be added in a second stage,
that's the reason of the ReportElement interface.

cheers