Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:06:00 -0500

While I agree it is unfortunate that the meaning of freedom in Free Software
has been watered down and the importance of freedom sometimes ignored by
people who proclaim "Open Source" for it's mear utility and efficiency, I do
not appose attending so called "Open Source" events for that reason alone.
Sometimes there are people who use the term and simply do not understand the
implications, and certainly there are many people today who advocate "Open
Source" rather than Free Software who are neither hostile to software freedom
nor have goals that are all that different from ours.  We should not divide
ourselves over that alone.

That being said, Derek is quite correct that one of my objections to eGovOS is
that it lends false credence and legitimacy to the idea that "shared source"
is somehow a valid and morally equivilent form of "Open Source" or that there
is only a competitve points to consider and distinguish free and propretary
software.  Do we conclude that there is a moral equivillence between freedom
in western democracies and the old soviet system?