Re: Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:04:24

In my view, the issue of whether GNUe should require purchase orders in
processing accounts payable is a business process issue in which GNUe
should be neutral but should be prepared to support all alternatives.  It
is not for GNUe to determine whether any particular business process should
be followed.

The business processes of any enterprise using GNUe should be left to the
enterprise to determine.  We should give users the tools and guidance for
implementing their own decisions.

We should not get into the same situation as other enterprise software
providers who take the attitude that "if your business doesn't match our
product, change your business."  :-)

In thinking about what business processes to support, it may be useful to
consider the categories of enterprises I identified in the draft security
framework.  In a sense, business process issues are related to security
issues because security is the means by which enforcement of the business
processes is assured.

For a very small business, there may not be a need for purchase orders.
The owner of a very small business (e.g., a one-person business) knows what
has been ordered, and the main purpose of a "purchase order" may be if it
helps the business process at the supplier or is useful for legal "battle
of the forms" purposes related to terms and conditions pre-printed on forms.

For a medium size business there may be a need for purchase orders related
to accounts payable processing.  For a large business, I have seen
processes where there is not only a purchase order but also a purchase
request.  Only the purchasing department can produce the purchase order.
The purchase request comes from the person who wants the item purchased and
must be approved against budgets and filed with the purchasing department
before a purchase order can be issued.  When the item arrives, there is
either an incoming inspection done by the quality control department or an
approval form that goes to the original requester and must be approved
before payment is made.  Sometimes the process depends on whether the item
is a regularly purchased item or a "one time" purchase.  All these
processes relate to the "separation of function" which is a key principle
of security in the area of integrity, and indeed was adapted from common
business practices that counter embezzlement.

So GNUe shouldn't be "insisting" on anything, but should be surveying the
practices of enterprises, structuring itself to support the practices it
observes, and providing the flexibility and tools for an enterprise to
implement its own processes and practices.

Stan Klein