Re: Your decision to implement in Python

From: James Thompson
Subject: Re: Your decision to implement in Python
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:29:59 -0600 (CST)

You can find some of our reasoning here.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnue/faq.html#GNUe-FAQ-2.12

As for the acceptance of java, a client of mine is working with one of the
largest American insurance companies on a project.  Thier IT contacts had
no problems with my zope/python based solution but explictly forbid a Java
based solution.

Another reason to not switch is momentum.  From sloccount....

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
python:       48140 (93.54%)
php:           2598 (5.05%)
sh:             696 (1.35%)
perl:            32 (0.06%)

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 51,466
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 12.54 (150.42)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months)                         = 1.40 (16.80)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule)  = 8.95
Total Estimated Cost to Develop                           = $ 1,693,316
 (average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).
SLOCCount is Open Source Software/Free Software, licensed under the FSF
GPL.
Please credit this data as "generated using 'SLOCCount' by David A.
Wheeler."

We have no issues we other people writing java based systems that
interoperate with GNUe.  However I don't think any of us are keen on
switching languages at this stage of the game.

Hope this help answer your question and thanks for working on the German
translations.

Take Care,
James