Re: [GNUe]GNU Enterprise

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [GNUe]GNU Enterprise
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:17:23 -0700 (MST)

Joseph said:
> This look like interesting project but I was wandering how this
> accounting package address multi-currency and inventory feature.   Most
> of today accounting packages are based on an old tradition and sometimes
> it doesn't work in todays fast progressing business (on the Internet).

The current working piece of GNUe is the application framework.  There is
not a downloadable Accounting package today.  This means you can address
it however you want as its in development. ;)

GNUe has developers from Argentina to Ottawa, Kansas to New Zealand and
back so I think there is plently chance multi currency will be mandatory
in official packages.

> I've tried SQL-Ledger (it doesn't work for us).
> For example we do business from Canada but our prices are in USD and we
> buy inventory mostly in USD; though our expenses are in Canadian Dollars
> (CAD) and we pay taxes in CAD.
> We keep the inventory in USD as it is easier to re-order items and
> provide prices to customers.
> We would like to see prices on inventory listed in for example: USD,
> Euro and CAD when we look up the inventory stock when customer calls. At
> time to time we sell to Canadian Customers in USD (foreign currency) so
> we have to manually adjust tax entry.
> I've not seen single accounting that would address these issues.

This is a good point to bring up when someone starts an official
accounting module.  It certainly should be doable.

-Derek