Re: [GNUe] Various newbie questions

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Various newbie questions
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:18:18 -0700 (MST)

Wolfgang,

I have been away from the project for some time, but can answer some of
these..

> - In the developer's introduction to GNUe common it written that among the
> features is:
>
> "An RPC abstraction layer that will allow server processes to define their
> public methods once and have them available to CORBA, XML-RPC, SOAP, and
> DCOM clients."
>
> Are all these implemented yet? I would guess that DCOM is only available
> on
> Windows?

No not all implemented yet.  Yes DCOM would be windows only.  We were
calling this abstration GNU RPC.

> - The developer's guide for the GNUe appserver mentions that the basic
> datatypes supported are: string number boolean date time datetime
>
> Are these really all? Not more? Are there possibilities to easily add
> custom datatypes?

Reinhard or Johannes can readily answer this.

> - The developer's guide for GNUe forms mentions custom widgets and does
> not
> recommend to use them. But is there still an easy possibility to use them
> at all with GNUe (other than writing the _entire_ client from scratch)?

I do not believe there is formal documented way of yet, but yes.  You
could extend or create new widgets in existing clients.  Just those
extensions would not be guaranteed compatiability with GNUe official
applications and no concessions would be made to prevent breaking them in
upgrades per say.

> - The WWW page about GNUe forms mentions Qt, HTML, "native" Windows,
> curses
> and GTK2 interfaces - are all these implemented yet?

The native windows and gtk2 interfaces were fairly functional at one time.
 The curses interface was up and running, but not feature complete.  The
Qt interface was in a similar state.  The HTML interface has had many
iterations and had working code, but has always been far from complete.

> - How about concurrent access to the database underlying GNUe by other
> applications for directly feeding in data?

All depends on how you write your applications.  GNUe Integrators focus
was to automate feeds from other systems.  Certainly this is supported in
the architecture, but largely will be dictated by the application
architect.

Hope that helps.  Sure others will chime in.

-Derek Neighbors