[gnugo-devel] trevor_1_23.4.tar.gz

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_23.4.tar.gz
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:52:55 -0500

http://www.public32.com/games/go/trevor_1_23.4.tar.gz
 - EXPERIMENTAL_READING code (pattern based) added.
 - added "tried" parameter to special_rescue
 - defend2-[CD] won't re-try moves (avoid cache check).
 - faster implementation of accurate_approxlib.
 - mkpat takes multiple -i parameters, outputs in binary
 - Visual C now uses _vsnprintf
 - sgf output tweeking.
 - #define UNUSED(x)  x;
 - tuning (very little).

The Pattern based reading code was an interesting experiment, and
I think it may bear fruit.  It is quite a bit slower than the straight
C code, but it's much easier (for me anyway!) to re-order moves
and try different approaches.  Only attack moves are generated
using patterns (so far).  I found it very pleasing to have one
komaster_trymove loop for all moves.

There were some interesting ideas that I found useful, namely:
 - making goal array visible to helpers, and using different
   values to mean different things (1 == goal worm,
   (2 == bordering other worm, 3 == nearby friendly worm)
 - making number of liberties of goal available to helpers.

Would it make sense to have an option on matchpat to only call
certain types of patterns?  In particular, I'm thinking it would
be convenient to have a CLASS_2 & CLASS_3 to specify whether
to match 2 or 3 liberty cases only, but BEFORE any pattern matching,
rather than segregate them into separate files.

Sorry for the rather convoluted patch - hard to break up reliably,
and my cable-modem connection's been down so I couldn't easily
do diffs & send this in stages.

-Trevor