[gnugo-devel] Crash due to replacement inconsistency

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Crash due to replacement inconsistency
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 02:31:30 +0200 (CEST)

My gtp_dummy engine triggered another GNU Go crash. This time it is an
inconsistent replacement rule. I have appended the position and the
responsible pattern (it was the same pattern matched twice).

As we are planning to turn off this assertion in the stable release, and
as I could not find a reasonable position where this assertion would get
triggered, I am inclined to suggest to simply disregard this case.

Arend

Pattern RE4
# tm New Pattern (3.1.17)

?O.|    push before blocking
*XX|
OO.|

:8,-

?O.|
*BX|

; oplay_attack(*,a,B)

> replace(a,*)

This pattern gets matched twice at R11 in the following position:

***assertion failure:
move_reasons.c:1412 - dd == to || to == replacement_map[dd] near R11***

 (variation 38563790)
   A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P Q R
17 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
16 . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
15 O X X O . . . . . . . . . . . . O 15
14 . X O + X X . X + . . . . + X . . 14
13 . . . . . . X O . X X . O X . X . 13
12 O O X . X O . X O O . . O . . O O 12
11 . O X X . X . . X X X X X X X X . 11
10 . X O O X X . O . O O X . . . O O 10
 9 . X O + X . X X O O X . X X . X . 9     WHITE has captured 0 stones
 8 . X . O X O X . X X . X O . . X . 8     BLACK has captured 2 stones
 7 . O . X X X . X . X . X . . O X . 7
 6 . X X O . . O X O X O X . O . . . 6
 4 . X . + . O . O + . . . . + . X O 4
 3 . O X X . O . . . X . X X X . X . 3
 2 . X . . O X X X . X O . . O . X . 2
 1 O O X . . . . . . . . O . . . X O 1
   A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P Q R

gnugo 3.1.32 (seed 853622556): You stepped on a bug.
Please save this game as an sgf file and mail it to address@hidden
If you can, please also include the debug output above this message.