Re: [gnugo-devel] working on gnugo

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] working on gnugo
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:42:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Evan Daniel,

great you want to join us!

> I'm not at all sure how common a problem this is (abrupt dragon status
> changes).  Will a separate program catch enough examples, or do we want
> the development version to spit out sgf files in normal play for
> submission as bug reports?

I think examples should be frequent enough. Once we have the program,
we can share the "work" of letting GNU Go play through some hundreds of
games.

> It looks like I can figure out how to create a separate program.  Is there
> some other simple GTP client I can build off of, or will I need to write
> the GTP interface from scratch?

Have a look at vanilla.c for a C-program that sets up a GTP
communication with GNU Go, or twogtp for a perl script (should be
similar in any scripting language of your choice). (Both are in the
directory interface/gtp_examples.

Another possiblity would be to write a script that interprets the output of
"gnugo -l xx.sgf --replay black -w". The output should contain all
necessary information, and then you wouldn't need to bother about
setting up gtp etc.