Re: [gnugo-devel] matcher status

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] matcher status
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:36:38 +0200

Evan wrote:
> Of course, *now* I realize that I made the diff backwards.  sigh.  Here's
> the correct version.

Two comments on format:

1. Please use the unified diff format (diff -u). In this case with
only additions it doesn't make much difference, but in general it's
superior to context diffs. At least most (or all?) of us on this list
reviewing patches think so.

2. There's no need to base64 encode patches. It's preferable to either
have an attachment with some plain encoding or just append the patch
to the main message. The "patch" utility has no trouble dealing with
the leading text. To see why base64 encoding is a problem, look in the
mail archive at
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-July/002314.html

We should document these points somewhere.

/Gunnar