Re: [gnugo-devel] Yet another twogtp

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Yet another twogtp
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:48:23 +0200

Inge wrote:
> Thanks for adding the twogtp written in python to CVS, but I think
> that the name should be twogtp.py instead of twogtp-py.

Fixed.

I notice that twogtp.py starts with the magic line

#! /usr/bin/python

which on unix makes the script run through the /usr/bin/python
interpreter (assuming also that the execute bit is set). However, this
works if and only if python happens to be installed at exactly that
location, which may or may not be true. An alternative is to use
another level of magic with

#! /usr/bin/env python

This effectively uses the env program to find the location of python
in the callers path.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a more robust way to find the
interpreter. Can anyone see a reason I should not make the change?

Btw, if the interpreter needs to be started with some option, this
approach cannot be used.

/Gunnar