RE: [gnugo-devel] trying some OWL tuning

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] trying some OWL tuning
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:13:42 +0200

Arend wrote:

> Lunch is not what you think it is, and it is GNU Go's fault you
> misunderstood :-) Lunch is supposed to be a critical worm whose capture
> would guarantuee an eye. I think the problem here is that the worm at K3
> isn't considered dead. (This is due to a misanalysis by small_semeai()
> here.)

Well, I might misundertand some things, but

http://www.public32.com/regress/?tstfile=13x13&num=20&trace=1
shows this :

K3 : B dragon size 6 (6.92), genus 0, half eyes 0, escape factor 0, crude
status dead, status dead, moyo size pre owl 0, moyo size post owl 0, moyo
territory value 0.00, safety dead, weakness 1.00, owl status dead
... neighbors L5 M1
... adjacent worm M1 is lunch

It seems GNU Go thinks it's dead.

> If I understood it correctly, Gunnar is working on an eye patch that
> would (among other things) teach GNU Go the difference between a half
> eye and a place where there is two eyes if we move first but none
> otherwise. These should places should be treated identically to a big
> lunch, so maybe it is worth reconsidering big lunches then.

It would help I guess, but I'm not sure it would solve the problem I'm
looking into.

/nando