[gnugo-devel] Wallyplus: a simple Go playing engine with GTP version 2 i

From: Andrew Derrick Balsa
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Wallyplus: a simple Go playing engine with GTP version 2 interface
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:57:08 +0800

Hello!

I have been working on a C++ rewrite of the original wally.c Go playing
program by Bill Newman. I have called it Wallyplus. The project has reached
the point where wallyplus can play a game against gnugo, using a
slightly modified version of the twogtp.py script, which is included in the
tarball.

I have uploaded the tarball for the source on ibiblio.org and it is now
available at the following URL:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/Incoming/wallyplus-0.1.tar.gz (508K).

Compiling with gcc is easy (note: I am using gcc 3.2).

I am looking for a host for this file also, as presently I don't have a Web
site.

The Python script is called twogtp1or2.py. It can relay commands between GTP
version 1 or 2 engines (it uses the prococol_version command to determine
which protocol the engine supports). It is included in the wallyplus tarball
in the subdirectory Documentation. I have also fixed a small bug in the
original script.

I don't know if Wallyplus is a worthy opponent to Gnu Go 3.3x, but it plays
very quickly and it's interesting to see the two engines battling it out.

The wallyplus executable is just 40K in size! I am very interested if anybody
wants to try it and has suggestions.

Best regards,
--
Andrew D. Balsa