Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: computer-go: 13x13 C GoTournament 2002

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: computer-go: 13x13 C GoTournament 2002-03 (12)]
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 11:04:01 +0100

Nando wrote:
> I have often noticed (I'm not alone I believe) owl reading mistakes due to
> the too optimistic "getting deep, looks lively" judgement. I think the
> engine would problably benefit from raising this depth parameter.

Depth limits aside, it may be worth reconsidering this policy. I
actually tried a "getting deep, looks dead" variation some time ago,
but that change was too crude. Still I think there's potential for
some quick improvement if we can come up with better heuristics to
statically determine whether the dragon will be able to eventually
live.

/Gunnar