[gnugo-devel] Win Honte is very strong

From: Måns Ullerstam
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Win Honte is very strong
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:02:29 +0100

I tried to play a few games against WinHonte myself. My gut feeling was
that it was stronger than GNU Go on both 9x9 and 13x13, but it was
unclear at 19x19. Therefore I conducted a series of hand played games on
sizes 9, 13 and 19 where both programs played against each other, two
games per color and board size.

WinHonte was able to win on all sizes, but GNU Go was overall stronger.
I played one game of 19x19 where WinHonte was white and won against GNU
Go with a large margin. Unfourtunately that game was not recorded. The
version of GNU Go was 3.3.16 and Win Honte was 0.94. Both engines were
set on preset levels. The games are included if anyone care to watch
them.

I think the guy(s) at JellyFish have done an amazing job. Compared to
GNU Go their whole program is about 200kB instead of 3 MB. The man hours
put into Win Honte must be in the region of 1% compared to GNU Go. And
the level of play is about the same.

I personally believe that Win Honte might be a stronger opponent to
humans, even if it is weaker towards other computer go engines. Since I
am in favor of any AI applied to go I would love to know more about the
architecture behind WinHonte.

Cheers / Mans