[gnugo-devel] None

From: Michael Murray
Subject: [gnugo-devel] None
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:23:15 +0000

Hi, My name is Michael and I find that your gnugo program plays quite well for a computer. I'd just like to make a suggestion or two on your program.

I find that gnugo 3.316 seems to be reasonably good at reading out life and death of groups, but it sometimes leaves groups alone while they are not yet alive and ends up getting killed. I'm guessing you realise this already and hope that you can fix up this problem. I believe this alone may be able to raise the strength of the program by 1 or 2 stones. Most of it's moves in a game are quite good, but poor life and death reading lets it down.

I tested gnugo against the program "WinHonte", and found that gnugo played a sequence of bad moves in a situation. It just kept getting worse and worse, and when I tried "Guess Score" Gnugo thought it was winning by 2 points, but in fact it was going to lose the game by a very big margin. Please look at the sgf file to review the game, thanks.

Michael.

MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp