Re: [gnugo-devel] 'fflush(stdout)' inside engine make it user-interface

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 'fflush(stdout)' inside engine make it user-interface dependant
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:43:57 +0100

Kevin wrote:
>   when i am developing a VC++ GUI for gnugo engine,
> i experienced a crash. It is caused by a
> 'fflush(stdout)' from inside connect.c.

I suppose you mean patterns/connections.c. The flushing there is
definitely bogus.

>   then i search through the entire engine, there are
> few other places 'fflush(stdout)' appears, like inside
> board.c.
>   i think this 'fflush(stdout)' makes the entire
> engine dependant on ASCII mode.

Ascii mode has nothing to do with this. It may have had something to
do with GMP mode early on, but I'm very doubtful whether the flushing
business fills any purpose today, with the exception of inside
abortgo().

>   should we do something to make the engine completely
> separate from any user-interface?

That depends a lot on what you mean by "completely separate".

/Gunnar