Re: [gnugo-devel] New GnuGo GUI for Windows

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] New GnuGo GUI for Windows
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:27:40 +0200

Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:

>     The simultaneous installation of both programs is only intended to
> protect the user against: version incompatibilities, broken links and
> errors produced by the user's unability to install both programs. As far
> as I understand your license conditions, this does not infringe any of
> the clauses, but of course, I will follow your instructions. As I see
> it, it is not different that if both programs were distributed together
> on a CD.

You are free to include both programs on a CD. If you distribute GNU Go
in binary form, you must do one of the following: place the sources on
your CD along with the binary; if you have not modified GNU Go, put in a
link to GNU Go main (or devel in case of 3.3.x version) page from which
users can download the sources to the version of GNU Go you redistribute;
if you have modified GNU Go in any way you must provide free of charge
access to the complete sources of modified version as specified by GNU GPL
(e.g. place them on your web site for free download).

Note that if you have modified GNU Go, your version must be released under
the GNU GPL license. In particular, anyone who have received a copy from
you is free to redistribute it further and/or make modifications.

>     I hope that you share my views on the subject. Please, download
> GoKnot. As you will see: It is the only Windows interface to GnuGo that
> is really a Windows application (Java independent), GnuGo can be used to
> analyze and not only to play, GnuGo can be used to analyze games taking
> place at IGS, and much more. Both GoKnot and my website have links to
> your site. Please, confirm that you agree with my current installation
> procedure or indicate what changes should I make to it. I would also
> appreciate a link to my website as you are linking to other GUIs for
> Windows.

As long as your program is separated from GNU Go, it can be distributed
under any terms you choose. However, we ask you to consider making it
free. Please note, that if a program is free, you can still sell it.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html
and http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html for motivation.

One side note: please change "Gnu license" to "GNU GPL license" on your
site. Thank you.

Paul Pogonyshev