Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go

From: John P. Murphy
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go
Date: 03 Apr 2003 08:28:36 EST

--- You wrote:
I have access to some 64 CPU machines at the university where I would be
running the software.
I will probably be using MPI or OpenMP.
Does anyone know if there is an open-source version of either of these,
so that I could distribute the code?
--- end of quote ---

MPI would require a great deal of rewriting in order to parallelize GNU Go.
OpenMP, however, is pretty much a series of #pragma's marking what can be spun
off onto other processors and such, and is probably your best bet in that it
will not require too many changes (I looked into doing it myself a few months
ago while I was learning OpenMP, and it looked promising)
I see no barriers to distributing the code that you write using OpenMP,
regardless of the availability of an open-source implementation.  You just
would not be able to compile it without a local copy.

John.