Re: [gnugo-devel] Semeai code redesign

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Semeai code redesign
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:57:48 -0800

> > If we intend to remove the distinction between the owl phase
> > and the tactical phase I'd suggest either developing an alternative
> > module in parallel and swapping it in when it's working right
> > (as was done with the connection code) or putting this change
> > off until the ko revision is already done.
> >
> > The reason is that I'm not convinced it will will be so easy
> > to remove the distinction between an owl phase and a tactical
> > and get a working module.
>
> I actually started with this part (the tactical code is still there
> but the owl_phase is never turned off). So far I haven't seen any
> problems with this. What kind of difficulties should I expect?

I came to the conclusion early that the owl reading was expensive
during semeai reading and usually unnecessary after a point so it
was best to turn it off after a tactical position was reached in
order to obtain reasonable speed.

> > I'd prefer a revision path that makes this change first, then see if
> > you can remove the tactical phase.
>
> I could live with doing a merge with my current revisions if someone
> wants to start in this end with the existing code.

I wasn't aware that you already had a working prototype, which
of course changes things. Your PASS/FAIL results are impressive
enough that I guess they're surely improvements if they're not
too slow.

Dan