Re: [gnugo-devel] regress endgame:603

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] regress endgame:603
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:45:04 -0700

> I'm agreed here.  My reference for miai counting:
> http://senseis.xmp.net/?MiaiCounting
>
> The idea is that since there are two net plays between B:G6 and W:G6, each
> of those plays is worth half of the 5 point difference, or 2.5 points.
>
> Because the D1 hane is sente for w, there are 0 net stones if w makes the
> hane, and 1 net stone played if b plays the revers sente.  So there is one
> stone difference, and the reverse sente is valued at three points.
>
> The problem here is that if b takes C1, then w gets tedomari (the last
> play) with G6.  If b G6, then b gets the last play when w plays the D1
> sente hane.
>
> For a good explanation:
> http://senseis.xmp.net/?tedomari
>
> It looks to me like black should make a sacrifice of half a point in order
> to get tedomari in this position.
>
> Adding a 3 point gote to the board would definitely be a good solution.
> Perhaps also leaving this problem but marking it as a difficult problem.

If I understand you correctly you agree now that G6 is the best
move for both players.

I think we could have two problems, the existing one (with
changed answer) and another one in which there is a 3 point
gote added somewhere on the board (with C1 the correct answer).

GNU Go would give the same answer in both tests. One would be
right, the other wrong. But a real combinatatorial endgame engine
would get them both right.

Dan