[gnugo-devel] Eye pattern 304

From: SP LEE
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Eye pattern 304
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 12:17:27 -0700

This is the game I posted before regarding life and death, where gnugo played black. After white played J2, the black group on lower side was dead. I think I'm not yet on the stage of fix any problem of the software (it's still too complicated for me), but after studied tons of debug output of gnugo I found some strange things. Before white played J2, I let gnugo analyze "owl_attack L2". It's good that it started to consider at first the attack position J2. For the following sequence it considered:
W:J2 B:H2 W:J3 B:K2 W:J4 B:F2 W:E2 B:K1 W:L4 B:F1

gnugo thought there was an eye at G1 of type 304 and the group was alive due to "getting deep, look lively". If I'm right, this eye is of type 0111. However, I think if attacker moves first, there should be no eye.

I'd like to hear your comments.

SP Lee