Re: [gnugo-devel] winning and forced moves

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] winning and forced moves
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 18:09:17 +0200

Arend wrote:
> 1. An attack pattern with value 100 is considered a direct win.
> 2. An attack pattern with value 99 is considered a forced move.
> 3. A defense pattern with value 100 is considered a win.
>
> I suggest to remtir all three heuristics, they were probably introduced
> at a time when owl was still much weaker than now.  I could be persuaded
> to keep 2.), however.

I agree. In addition I would say that 1 can't reasonably be used with
any degree of robustness.

> The first example would be solved by a more flexible move ordering
> (which could use a very high valued pattern _before_ B1 which is played
> as a moderately high scoring vital move in pass 0), and I have a
> (still very experimental) patch that does already address the 2nd
> part.

More flexible move ordering is probably a necessary development.
E.g. patterns which make or secure a single eye are very interesting
if we already have another definite eye but are less useful if there's
no further eye potential (but could live by running away).

/Gunnar