[gnugo-devel] Some small doc issues

From: Lutz Euler
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Some small doc issues
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:16:44 +0200

Hi,

I am a regular reader of "gnugo-devel" and also regularly play against
the GNU Go development versions. Many thanks for providing such a nice
software!

I understand the 3.4 release is near so I thought some remarks about
quirks in the documentation might be appreciated.
I refer to the documentation as distributed with version 3.3.23.

* "INSTALL" is somewhat outdated:

For instance, it refers to --experimental-semeai and contradicts the
info documentation whether this is enabled by default or not.

Also the description of the sizing of the ram cache has been improved
in the info documentation but not in INSTALL.

* In "README" line 62 begins with "@option{--komi}".

* The info node "Installation/Configure Options/Ram Cache"

There are contradictory statements about the default cache size:

In the first paragraph: "By default, GNU Go makes a cache of 16 Megabytes
in RAM for its internal use."

In the third paragraph: "If you omit this, your default cache size will
be 8 MB."

* The info node "GTP/The GNU Go Text Protocol"

This node is named "The Go Text Protocol" but when entering it it has
the title "The GNU Go Text Protocol". Is that deliberately so?

It contains:

"The available commands may always be listed using the single command
`help'. Currently this gives the list below.

     attack
     black
[...]"

The list is not current. gnugo-3.3.23 gives many more commands:

aa_confirm_safety
all_legal
analyze_eyegraph
attack
attack_either
black
[...]

* The info node "GTP/GTP command reference"

The description of the command "genmove" does not mention the possible
return value "RESIGN" which can occur if the engine is configured with
"--enable-resignation-allowed".
I don't know whether other commands can return this value, too.
Maybe all that can return "PASS"?.

* In the man page for "gnugo"

There is a stray apostrophe under "OPTIONS", "main options",
"--mode mode":
"force the playing mode (ascii', gtp or gmp). Default is".

Yours

Lutz
--
Lutz Euler