[gnugo-devel] No connection better than weak connection

From: SP LEE
Subject: [gnugo-devel] No connection better than weak connection
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:27:32 -0700

Again from the case of the "terrible game"
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2003-07/msg00125.html. At move
117, gnugo has to do something to secure the connection. I found gnugo is using
CC509 to amalgamate the dragon around H7.

Pattern CC509

Ox
..
..
xO

:O,CY

ex
ab
cd
xf

;!xcut(a) && !xcut(b) && !xcut(c) && !xcut(d) && !oplay_disconnect(e,f)

In the game it's true that E6 and F9 are connected. However, while defending
this connection, gnugo can't secure the connection of E6 and H7. By the way,
it's amazing to see gnugo considering all the possibilities of connect and
disconnect. Since the amalgamation process only considers a pair of worms each
time, it can't find any connection problem in this case.

I think the pattern CC509 makes a too weak connection which has a lot of aji's.
Usually, this kind of move means that the connection is not important or even
sacrificing one of the stone doesn't matter. Since gnugo doesn't know
sacrificing very well, I have deleted this pattern and I'm running the
regression test now.

SP Lee