Re: [gnugo-devel] new cache

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] new cache
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:34:39 +0000

Wolfgang Manner wrote:
> i dont know how your linux box treats longlong. it still may be faster
> to compare by yourself word 1 and if it disagrees: break
> instead of comparing two longlong words
> wolfgang

i'm not sure about other architectures than x86, but the latter simply
cannot compare two 64-bit values in one operation.  in other word, on
x86 `long long' is an abstraction - it is supported by compiler (gcc),
not processor itself.  i'd guess that this is true for all 32-bit
processors.

so it doesn't matter much what we use: `long long' or two `int's.  in
terms of machine code on x86 (all 32-bit architectures).  but i would
suggest two `int's simply because it's absolutely portable.

Paul