Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi fixes

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi fixes
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, SP LEE wrote:

> So I think EJ72 should be removed, right? There must be other moves
> possible.
>
> Pattern EJ72
> # If the right edge is the fourth line this is
> # not too good because it provokes X to make territory
> # but there is no really good move in this case.
>
> .....        jump again
> ..*..
> ....X
> ..O..
> ....X
> X.O..
> -----
>
> :8,J

I think it should be changed, but probably not removed.  This feels like a
case where gnugo is likely to play tenuki if left to its own devices.  I
think the correct approach is probably to widen the pattern (eg a few rows
of ?s) so that it doesn't match when the X's are on the fourth line,
downgrade it to a j (or even t) pattern, and make sure there are patterns
suggesting other moves in the area (eg, attaching on top of the left X
stone).  Also, the antisuji comment for this position should be removed
from hoshi_keima.sgf.  While it's a bad move, I doubt it's that horrible,
and if gnugo played tenuki earlier, it might really be best.  But
something should be changed about it.

Evan Daniel