Re: [gnugo-devel] New owl attack pattern

From: SP LEE
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] New owl attack pattern
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:51:56 -0700

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, SP LEE wrote:
>

> > Below is the revised patch, thanks of the comments of Arend and
Evan. There
> > is no regression breakage. I still put it in owl_attackpats.db
because I'm
> > afraid the pattern might be matched in the middle of an owl
analysis.

> I don't understand why you wouldn't make it a vital pattern.  If it is
> vital pattern, owl will try it always, even if the eye code thinks
there
> is a solid eye; owl attack patterns do not get tried if the eye code
finds
> an eye.  At least, that's my understanding.
>
> Evan

My concern about the owl vital attack patterns is that they are only
matched once during owl analysis. So I would only add patterns which are
more urgent, such as a serious threat, or destroying two eyes at same
time to them. This pattern could be formed after several steps in owl
analysis. In my test, the owl attack pattern still gets tried both in my
test case and in your test case.

SP Lee