Re: [gnugo-devel] Joining the project?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Joining the project?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:35:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Max,

> I'm a student right now but very interested in making a contribution to the
> gnu go project. I'm a go player with limited experience in the game (less
> than two years) and a student in the field of artificial intelligence.
> Searching, if you will, for the "solution" of a game of Go is one of the
> most fascinating questions of computer science at hand right now, and I'm
> very interested in helping solve it.
>
> I've looked over the task list and I think I can help if I were more
> familiar with the terminology that is specific to the gnu go project. What I
> need to continue is some documentation about what code is found where within
> the project, and which files do what when linked. I'm sure I can get most of
> what I need just looking at the code, but I want to know if there are any
> specific styles that need to be adhered to? Point me to some documentation,
> and I'd love to do some work for this project.

That sounds great! There is quite a bit of documentation we have
written. If you are working in a Unix-environment and you have texinfo
installed, you can get an up to date version with "make gnugo.dvi" (or
.ps) in the doc/ subdirectory. There is also a link to the documentation
from our development homepage (www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html),
but we still need to update that to 3.4, as that is still 3.2.

What you might also find helpful as a start is to look at the regression
failures and try to find out what went wrong. You find a link to nice
html-views also from the development homepage.