Re: [gnugo-devel] 3 ko's and nobody wins?

From: Olof Fridh
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 3 ko's and nobody wins?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:30:46 +0100

Very interesting position and also play by gnugo. After black C12 it only considers D15 as an attack on D14 and it thinks the E14 worm is dead and ends up playing R19 for white instead. BUT if you input D15 yourself it will start the triple ko sequence and then it returns to the board position below is suddenly see that D15 is important (which it didn't before, 151.13 points now, 0 points before ) and continues the triple ko and will most likely loop forever (looped through it 3 times before giving up).
Note that this is for 3.5.4 I haven't tried it with the latest patches.

Btw the best move for black here is actually D15 instead of C12. This creates a simple ko where black takes first, and as this is a game winning ko with no ko threats big enough black will just ignore whatever white plays and capture. That way black wins the game instead of getting a no result. But as both moves saves the black group it can't really be considered wrong.