[gnugo-devel] Re: global lookahead; distributed go; an experiment

From: ab
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: global lookahead; distributed go; an experiment
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:29:15 +0200

Hi!

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:39:47 -0700, David G Doshay wrote:

>> I think this effectively add a kind of search that is not currently
>> implemented in gnugo and could (does?) reveal some strategic effects of
>> moves instead of just tactical things. Of course really big surprises
>> won't be possible, because the selection of the next move is limited to
>> gnugo's top10 moves.
> We also ask gnugo what we would move if we were the other player. There
> usually, but not always, are entries on this list that are not on the
> "our" best move list.

...which generates funny moves like a monkey jump inside your own territory
on the side :)
(as I saw in one of your posted games on the list)

Apart from this, I propose the following experiment:

A strong player plays against gnugo, but when it's his turn he is only
allowed to choose among the
Top 2,3,4,.. moves that gnugo would suggest for him.

What is the maximum level of play (=num of handicaps) that is achievable for
the human player?

(perhaps implement a mode in gnugo, that when asked to generate a move also
sends the top10 of a possible answer to the client (as a comment), along
with the executed move)

ciao,
 Andreas