[gnugo-devel] gnugo network

From: Peter
Subject: [gnugo-devel] gnugo network
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:41:20 -0400

Hi,
I like to use the Sente Goban client on my Mac OS X laptop so I can play Go where ever I am. However, it is not a very fast computer and even at lower than the recommended level, the gnugo takes a little bit to move sometimes. I have, however, several desktops that have nothing to do and are significantly faster. I would like to run gnugo in some kind of "--network" mode but I haven't been able to find that such a thing exists. This would also be useful if later experimental additions to gnugo increased its complexity to the point where it was only playable on a cluster, in which case some sort of server functionality might naturally feed into this.

I'm not talking about a the gnugoclient that allows gnugo to connect to servers on the internet, I'm talking about a mode that would allow my Goban client to connect directly to my other computer running the gnugo engine.

I'm wondering if there is plans for such a feature or if it already exists? If any go clients would support such a thing or would require a gnugo proxy on the local machine (essentially a second copy of gnugo running in some simple pipe functionality with the remote gnugo engine), if any of this would be a good idea to add(which I could probably do), or if I should just write a couple of programs or scripts to make my Goban think it was playing with a local gnuengine and accomplish this functionality myself.

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback... I could probably do this all with ssh and some weird shell command which begs the question why am I writing this email but anyway.
                                                        - Peter