Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki db

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki db
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:37:53 +0100 (CET)

Hi Douglas,

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Douglas Ridgway wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Gunnar Farnebäck wrote:
>
> > Doug wrote:
> > > In addition to the new .db files, I have included patches here to
> > > raise some limits, remove the fuseki.c popularity screen and reduce
> > > the pattern size to use less memory.  Still, the compiled binary is
> > > larger: 7.5M, as as compared to 4.4M for 3.6-pre4.  If there are
> > > situations where binary size is critical, a trimmed version could be
> > > generated.
> >
> > We might consider more drastic changes as well, like using 64-bit
> > Zobrist hashes to identify the patterns.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. You mean for matching the fuseki patterns
> during play, right? In principle, one could do all pattern matching with
> hashes, but I agree it makes particular sense for whole-board patterns.

I think a reduction of the disk space usage would also be nice; the
binary size of 7.5 M doesn't worry me so much, but 20 M for fuseki*.db
for each CVS tree I have here on my hard disk is a bit annoying.
The easiest solution that comes to my mind would be to patch
extract_fuseki to generate an .sgf-file instead, which we would ship. Then
joseki.c could be patched to regenerate fuseki*.db, and we can just pipe
it's output to makepat. This way, we never need fuseki*.db on the disk
(but can still generate it if we need it).

Other suggestions?