Re: [gnugo-devel] Get strong at cvs ?

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Get strong at cvs ?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:38:40 +0100

Alain wrote:
> i am trying to put the twin patch in cvs... I m looking for
> a good CVS tutorial. So far i found only dumb tutorial or 100+ pages ones.

I'm sorry, but to do what you outline you probably need the 100+ pages one.

> Does someone has a good link ?
> i want to:
> - have a local copy of the cvs repository, with all its properties.
> - create a twin branch
> - add a twin.c file
> - modify the source with my patches
> - sync the branch against each new release (3.7.10 .11 ...)

If you don't have any previous experience with CVS I would recommend
starting with a simpler, although less powerful, setup.

1. Check out a working copy,
   cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/gnugo co gnugo
2. Apply your twin patch in one way or another.
3. To sync with CVS, do
   cvs update -d -P
4. To create a diff, do
   cvs diff -u

The downside of this is of course that you don't get any revision
history of your changes while working with the patch. It can be
arranged with CVS in the way you outline but it might be a better idea
to use subversion, where such things are generally cleaner and well
documented.

Regarding adding a twin.c file you're probably better off initially by
putting the code that should go there somewhere out of the way in an
existing file, e.g. near the top of genmove.c. There are two reasons
for this. The first one is that the anonymous read-only CVS access
doesn't play very well with file additions and the second one is that
it's more convenient for everybody that a maintainer adds it to
Makefile.am and updates the build files at the same time it's added to
CVS.

/Gunnar