[gnugo-devel] Re: gnugo-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 24

From: John Tromp
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: gnugo-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 24
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:54:20 +0200

> It next twice defeated 9x9 winner
> CrazyStone but only after allowing gnugo to void a game in which
> gnugo at lvl 15 took seemingly forever on a single move.

Yeah, high levels tend to be unpredictable. Do you still have the
position available?

It's the position at the end of gnu-crazy.sgf. I suspect GnuGo had
used more than
half an hour thinking time when I killed it.

It's funny how this happens all the time. S11 was a really lousy move
and T5 was at the very least unorthodox.

I think further improvements in GnuGo should first concentrate on understanding
these weird effects and making it robust against them.

> But, it's the end result that counts, and we can congratulate all GnuGo
> developers on this golden medal!

Nice to be back on top, although this wasn't the strongest field the
Olympiad has seen.

Ken Chen blamed the blunders made by his Go Intellect program on a rule
he had introduced to make plays for unsettled groups mandatory, but a bug
caused the rule to be misapplied. He also hadn't yet been able to track down
a bug in his gtp implementation, but hopes to have it working next time.

> I will not be present at the prize giving ceremony tomorrow.
> Please let me know to whom the medal should be sent.

I wouldn't mind getting it. They should have my address from the
subscription forms.

Ok, I'll tell the organizers.

regards,
-John