Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo Question

From: alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo Question
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:33:42 +0200

Hello

Le mercredi 10 octobre 2007 00:56, Philipp Urlich a écrit :
> Hello
>
> First off, thanks for the nice Go programm. It served me many hours of fun.
>
> The question I have comes from a discussion I got with two friends of
> mine, about if the strength of gnugo has to do with how fast the
> hardware is.
not very much on modern hardware (more than 400 MHz :)

> Under no time limit conditions! Of course under limited time condition I
> can see that the faster computer has an advantage over the slower one.
>
> Simply, does the calculation depth/strength depend on the hardware in
> gnugo under no time limit?

on 19x19 on kgs there is something like 2 kyu difference between gnugo at level 0
(ultra fast, more or less 1 sec per move but really ugly sometimes) and gnugo
at level 10 (default).

it should be slightly stronger (less than 1kyu) at level up to 14,
but it is unsafe to run it at level 16 or higher: It can get loss in
computations for hours.

Cheers
Alain